What happens to all the stuff that doesn’t neatly fit into a baseball post, The Junkball 10, Dead Celebrity Friday, the occasional happy birthday salute or a random standalone blog entry? It gets served up as Mental Leftovers …
My wife’s due date is a little more than 2 weeks away and I’m ready for that little bundle of joy to arrive.
For one thing, I can’t wait to meet my daughter and start a new chapter in my family’s life. But on a more selfish note, I can’t wait for my time off from work to kick in.
That’s right, I’m in desperate need of a break because I’ve barely used any of my vacation time this year. The master plan is to spend as many fully paid days off as possible with my wife and newborn daughter and now that we’re at the end of the year I’m out of gas.
Everything from blogging to housecleaning to staying on top of the household budget is slowly grinding to a halt.
On to some more random stuff:
* I finally realized that my get up and go got up and went about a week or so ago. I have a ton of housecleaning to do every day because my wife is on modified bed rest but I don’t even have an ounce of motivation anymore.
I was a housecleaning machine when she had to start taking it easy because I took it as a personal challenge to stay on top of things. At some point it stopped being an entertaining challenge and became a filthy, cluttered version of “Groundhog Day.”
* Anyone else bored with the Hisashi Iwakuma contract negotiations with the A’s? Me too. Note to Iwakuma’s agent Don Nomura: Work out a deal for your client or have him stay in Japan and give the public posturing a break because you look like a clown and Iwakuma’s scouting reports are nothing to get excited about.
* Somewhere out there a dead celebrity is rolling in their grave because I blew it and didn’t post a Dead Celebrity Friday last week. My apologies to the departed. Laziness and a long holiday weekend are clearly an unproductive mix for me but I promise to get back on the clock this week.
* How pathetically low is my level of motivation these days? I have almost no desire to decorate the house for Christmas. I feel terrible writing that, but it’s the truth.
I have no idea when I would scare up the time or energy to deal with decorating in between working, watching out for my pregnant wife and chasing my 19-month-old son around. By the time Christmas rolls around we’ll probably be too busy caring for a newborn to even notice ornaments on our fake tree or lights on our house.
If I get lucky my son will take a couple of long naps this weekend and I can at least get the tree set up before my daughter arrives.
* The 49ers thrashed the Cardinals last night to keep their playoff hopes alive which should get me all fired up but instead it actually annoys me a little bit.
I won’t lie, I want to see the organization torn down to the ground and rebuilt with a new front office and head coach. Winning a few more games only hurts the team’s chances for a high pick in the NFL draft and it leaves the window open for the York family to keep coach Mike Singeltary around which would be a very bad idea.
If you need an unlimited supply of hot air he’s the right man for the job but he seems over his head as an NFL head coach.
I’ve become a very conflicted 49ers fan. I want them to win but I also want them to lose so they can cut ties to Singletary and get a fresh start.
A blowout loss to the Green Bay Packers this weekend could be the final nail in Singletary’s coffin.